This imposing cathedral is one of the foremost large Gothic churches in France. Building work commenced on the choir in 1145 and ended with the construction of the façade in 1235. The interior is remarkable for the harmonious proportions of the choir and the nave, which has five double bays and rises up over four floors. The vaults of the choir are as high as those of the nave. Certain decorative quirks, which can also be seen in Soissons and Tournai (the arms of the transept), betray the influence of the Rhineland.